My own Twelfth Night production!!

• If you were commissioned to design and direct a production of Twelfth Night, where would you set it? What would your Illyria look like? What would be your take on each character? What costumes, music, and special effects would you want?

• How would you get each character off the stage in 5.1? Think about where they are going and how they feel. Do they stop and shake hands with other characters? Do they slink off or run off? This will be the last time the audience sees them. What impressions do you want to leave?

I would set it in somewhere like maybe a castle in.. Scotland! I don’t know why, but the castle and etc kind of remind me of Scotland (even though I’ve never been to there). I am not sure why, but if fits my image of Illyria well. Also, the whole time the light should be focused on or following the main character of the scene; especially in a scene where for example Feste sings his song, the attention should be focused on him. I’d also have special sound afects to make some scenes more interesting and entertaining to watch. This is what I’d do for each character:

Viola- Quite humble clothes since she’s dressed up as Cesario, Orsino’s servant. So no special accesories or anything; maybe a hat though.  

Sebastian- Should have some resemblance with Viola. Normal, simple clothes.

Orsino- extremely puffy sleeves! A feather boa maybe. He could have several frills in his clothes too (since at that time it was probably popular). He would have a kind of shallow, conceited sort of attitude but not meaning to be like that.  

Olivia- A long, flowing, expensive-looking Shakespeare-style dress.

Feste- Since he’s Olivia’s servant he should be wearing something decent, but there should be something not proper or silly about him. He’s kind of the ‘not-so-foolish-fool’ so maybe a striped suit with different colored flowers in his front pocket (like the one’s that magicians use), and a colorful bow or tie. He could also be wearing a hat, like a joker’s hat or something. 

Sir Toby- Should be wearing a suit jacket with shorts of something. He should also be holding a beer bottle.

Sir Andrew-Someone tall should act as him. Wearing yellow,Olivia’s least fave color, since he’s supposed to be foolish

Maria- A dress with maybe an apron, or something to show that she’s a servant so that people won’t mistake her for Olivia.

When the characters leave the stage, they should leave an impression.

I think that Feste should leave the stage with the same kind of impression, except as a fool who is not foolish; therefore still the same silly kind of impression but more like a silly person who is good with words and actually turns out not to be as foolish as was thought. Some of the main characters, such as Orsino, should leave a slightly different impression; in Orsino’s case, he should leave the stage as someone with a deeper understanding of what love is and etc. Olivia as well, in a similiar way. Viola should exit basically the same, since she’s kind of the ‘wise’ one.

I also think that when Feste leaves — since it’s the ending and should also leave an impression — he should sing as he does in the script then clap twice and the lights should turn off, or the curtains should close.